It's laying on my bed at the moment, being blocked. I can't believe I actually made it! It turned out much better than I had expected. I had a number of false starts with it before I realized I was knitting all wrong. I had been wrapping my stitches the wrong direction, making the whole thing look wacky, as well as doing SSK's all wrong. Duh! Once I got that taken care of, it wasn't hard at all. Counting stitches was the hardest part. I messed up a couple times, but I think I fudged it acceptably.
I think I'm ready to start reading charts now. That's my next learning experience to tackle.
This is before blocking:
It really stretched out and I realize now how imperative blocking is. Blocking is the process by which you convince the yarn to take a different shape. It turned out much MUCH larger. I'm glad I ran out of yarn and wasn't able to complete the pattern (I ended on row 84 out of 117). This is after blocking. Sorry there's no cat for measurement purposes =)
I have some pretty, dark pine green wool/silk KnitPicks yarn that I want to make into a shawl for my mom. I don't know if I want to do the same pattern or a different one. I have 2 pairs of socks to finish first, however.
*does her little happy dance* I did it! I did it! =) lol