This started out as a just a conversation between Alló and me. I think we were talking about 'hippie skirts' and quilts or maybe it was the other way around. I do recall talking about using heavy fabrics, such as you would find in old jeans and corduroy) hand-me-downs, to make a patchwork fabric and then turn it into a skirt. Regardless, I decided I was going to try to make a skirt like she had talked about.
Only, I was covetous of my corduroy squares. I have a hand pieced quilt I'm working on with them (and old jeans, etc =) What to do?! Would it be remain a hippie skirt if I used different fabrics? Would Alló still like it?
Pink and purple.
If I'm going to veer off the beaten path, why not go all out! Pink and purple are Alló's favorite colors, so whatever fabrics I had that fit the color scheme would get used.
Now, seriously. Those who have known me for any length of time would probably think "Dory. Pink. Nope, don't see that happening." If it makes you feel any better, I was shocked at how much pink fabric I had too. There were leftovers from previous projects, scraps from boxes I bought at yard sales, some from my ex-mother-in-law, remnants from a previous therapist, some fabric I had bought on a whim, and even children's clothes that people had thrown away (!!! can you believe it? Some of the coolest bits came from this category, including the embroidered dragon on the right side of the skirt!)
Over all, there are various cottons, satins, brocade, crushed velvet, sheers (layered), and rayon.
Of course it has beads. Really, can you imagine me doing all this stuff and *not* putting beads on it somewhere?? =) I used beads both to hold sequins on (oooh! MORE bright & shiny things!!!) as well as having couched them in curls on one panel. The other two panels were silk ribbon embroidery. The lavender is probably my favorite flower though the silk floss stem is rather drab. The funky daisy probably has the best stem. I forgot to get a photo of the freeform satin stitch embroidery with standard DMC cotton floss on a right rear panel. I'll have to add that later. I wanted to put more on the skirt, just in general, but Alló really wanted the skirt and I agreed. If I didn't decide it was 'finished' at some point, I'd just keep doing stuff to it.
The actual construction was easy. I'd say 'I cheated' but really I didn't. I used my serger (Toyota 3/4 overlock) to do almost all of it. I used up whatever I could, so some of my squares are cut strange relative to the bias, but it didn't really effect the overall piecing of the fabric. I put darts in from the waistband to the butt, added an inner lining of brilliant purple rayon (the inner skirt is only attached at the waist and ends about 6" higher than the bottom of the outer skirt.) The waistband was straight stitched so that there are two casing bands that hold 1/4" elastic. I thought doing it that way might be more comfortable than one heavier band of elastic.
Over all, for a 'test project', I'm very pleased. I've started another one already. The next punk-hippie skit is going to be in blues, greens, purples, and teals. A large chunk of the piecework is already done, but I got side tracked by other projects and sunshine, so it's on hold for the moment. Don't worry, I'll get to it. Now to figure out what the 3rd one will be!! ;-)
larger images of the skirt and details can be found on picasa.